What are some of the strangest duets in music history?
David Bowie and Bing Crosby - Little Drummer Boy
Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow
Aerosmith and Run DMC - at the time this was revolutionary; in 1986, no one thought rap and rock could co-exist.
Eminem and Elton John
The KLF and Tammy Wynette - Justified and Ancient
To take this to its logical conclusion, what are some of the greatest, strangest duets we would love to see, and what song would they sing? (The original artist has been added in parentheses.) Enjoy.
* Marilyn Manson and Amy Grant - Greatest Love of All (Whitney Houston) or Islands in the Stream (Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton)
* Hank Williams, Jr. and Dixie Chicks - My Way (Frank Sinatra)
* Flava Flav and Jordin Sparks (Sinatra was the first choice, but he's dead) - You Light Up My Life (Debby Boone) or We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off to Have a Good Time (Jermaine Stewart)
* William Shatner and Barry Manilow - Detachable Penis (King Missile) or The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas (They Might Be Giants)
* They Might be Giants and Celine Dion - Little Red Corvette (Prince) or anything by Fugazi
* James Taylor and Ted Nugent - Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonny Tyler) or Making Love Out of Nothing at All (Air Supply)
* Michael McDonald and MGMT - Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonny Tyler) or Making Love Out of Nothing at All (Air Supply)
* William Shatner and Avril Lavigne - The Time Warp (Rocky Horror Picture Show)
* Biz Markie and Barbara Streisand - I Got You Babe (Sonny & Cher)
* Tori Amos and Michael Bolton - It's a Man's World (James Brown)
* Snoop Dogg and Melissa Etheridge - Open Arms (Journey)
* Ozzy Osbourne and Shania Twain - Reunited (Peaches and Herb)
* Rick Astley and Courtney Love - still undecided, but some choices are La Vie En Rose (Edith Piaf), Glory of Love (Peter Cetera), or Next Time I Fall in Love (Peter Cetera and Amy Grant). But whatever song they sing needs a visual of Rick Astley sitting on Courtney Love's lap with her wearing a black beret.
* Fred Durst and Alanis Morrisette - Don't Go Breaking My Heart (Elton John and Kiki Dee)
* Leonard Nimoy and Hilary Duff - Almost Paradise (Ann Wilson and Mike Reno)
* Jessica Simpson and Tom Waits - 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy) (Simon and Garfunkle)
And for the "if they were still alive" duets list:
* Cher and ODB - Endless Love (Diana Ross)
* Jimi Hendrix and Doris Day - Eleanor Rigby (The Beatles)
* Roy Orbison and Andrea Bocelli - Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me (Elton John) Everyone thought Roy Orbison was blind, and Andrea Bocelli actually is: Tasteless? Yes.
Those that I legitimately would love to see:
* Ben Folds and Sarah McLachlan - God Only Knows (Beach Boys)
* Cat Power and Damien Rice - Massachusetts; How do You Mend a Broken Heart; I Started a Joke (Bee Gees)
Taylor Swift and Kanye West - We Got Tonight (Bob Seger)
Feel free to add your own, or vote for your favorite.
The Top Ten List will be released at some point in Scribbling and Bibblings history, with each person who voted for the top duet receiving an album of all Top Ten hypothetical duets as sung by me, and a sperm whale.